| In this picture you can barely notice the purple flowers growing on the side of the highway. |
| Close-up of the purple flowers. |
| Picture of tiny white flowers that were also growing alongside the road. |
I am a practicing Christian, not a perfect one and therefore my children get to watch me practice what I preach. I am so grateful for repentance and that I can keep on practicing! There are many things I try to live and teach, but these are some of my top priorities:
Teach them of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer. I love this scripture: "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins" (2 Nephi 25:26). I want our children to know there is always hope in Christ! I want our children to know Him, not only through words, but also action. To truly know someone we must study, learn, and then do as they do.
Teach them we have a living prophet whom the Lord's speaks through. (see D&C 1:38). What a blessing to hear a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson, who teaches God's will for us today (read his most recent words here). Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley said: "...if we have a prophet, we have everything. If we do not have a prophet, we have nothing. We do have a prophet. We have had prophets since the founding of this Church. We shall never be without a prophet if we live worthy of a prophet" (Believe His Prophets).
Teach them to love the commandments which is really loving God. "If ye love me keep my commandments" (John 14:15). The commandments are given for our protection, our growth, and our benefit. "He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for He loveth the world, even that He layeth down His own life that He may draw all men unto Him" (2 Nephi 26:24).
Teach them to love their neighbor and each other. "...ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another" (Mosiah 4:15; see also John 13:34; John 15:12). What better way to teach our children that we are all children of God than to have them love and serve one another and our neighbors.
Teach them that happiness comes from living the gospel and keeping covenants. Elder Maxwell said it beautifully when he stated: "You will also see that the living of one protective principle of the gospel is better than a thousand compensatory governmental programs- which programs are, so often, 'like straightening deck chairs on the Titanic'" (Why Not Now?; see also Alma 41:10). And the scriptures state: "Now, what do we hear in the gospel which we have received? A voice of gladness! A voice of mercy from heaven; and a voice of truth out of the earth; glad tidings for the dead; a voice of gladness for the living and the dead; glad tidings of great joy" (D&C 128:19).
As we teach our children these simple truths we will not only grow in knowledge of Jesus Christ, but we will also bloom where we are planted, the garden of our home. I love what the Lord says to Adam: "Therefore I give unto you a commandment, to teach these things freely unto your children" (Moses 6:58). It is a commandment to teach our children the plan of happiness, teach them of Christ, which leads to incredible growth no matter our location.
No comments:
Post a Comment