I really like to exercise. I like to ride my trike, weight train, walk, do pilates- I just feel so much better when I exercise. When I first started riding there was no way I could have gone out right away and ridden 100 miles, let alone do two events a week apart. Being able to complete my first century ride took a lot of exercise, a lot of small steps, desire, discipline, endurance and good care of my body. All these components eventually added up to being in shape enough that I could accomplish my goals and not hurt after having ridden 100 miles.
This leads me to thinking about exercising faith in Jesus Christ. It isn't the appearance of angels that build a strong testimony. It isn't the large miracles that I wish would happen on a daily basis that makes my faith strong and steady. I realized that it is the small, seemingly insignificant acts of faith on a daily basis that build strong, enduring faith in Jesus Christ and His redemptive power. Elder Henry B. Eyring said: "Now to exercise faith and be steady in obedience will in time produce great faith and assurance. That is the spiritual preparedness we all will need. And it will qualify us in the moments of crisis to receive the Lord's promise that "if yea are prepared ye shall not fear (D&C 38:30)" (Spiritual Preparedness: Start Early and Be Steady). Steadiness not only increases faith, but helps to build a stronger soul, and thus helps us endure all that is required or asked of us.
As I have exercised through the years, it is the steady, consistent act of daily exercise that has made a difference in my ability to do endurance riding. It is the same with daily life and our faith in Jesus Christ. Alma asks: "Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of Him who created you? Do you look forward with an eye of faith...I say unto you, can you imagine to yourselves that ye hear the voice of the Lord, saying unto you, in that day: Come unto me ye blessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth" (Alma 5:15-16)? What great questions to ask ourselves as we exercise faith in Jesus Christ and follow Him in our steady, daily ride of life.
I have also found that as I exercise and prepare for long rides I must be mindful of the food I eat and what I drink. As I exercise faith in Christ for the endurance of life I must "care for the soul, and for the life of the soul" (D&C 101:37). Therefore I ask: Do I "hunger and thirst after righteousness"...that I "shall be filled with the Holy Ghost" (3 Nephi 12:6; Matt. 5:6)? Do I daily "...feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let [my] soul delight in fatness" (2 Nephi 9:51)? Do I enjoy the "fruit of the Spirit"...which is "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance" (Galatians 5:22-23)? Do I "feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell [me] all things what [I] should do" (2 Nephi 32:3)? I know that as you ask these questions you will be led and know for yourself how to "care for the soul".
Exercising is great therapy, both physically and spiritually. I have found incredible joy in completing a 100 miles and enduring the entire ride. There are also great blessings as we "exercise faith" in Christ (see Moroni 7:25; D&C 44:2; 1 Nephi 7:12) and "endure all things" (A of F 1:13). I know we must "fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in [Christ] your joy is full. Therefore, care not for the body, neither the life of the body (because Christ resurrects all of us!); but care for the soul and for the life of the soul" (D&C 101:36-37). Continue in all the small things, the every day acts of exercising faith and being steadfast (see 2 Nephi 31:20), which will lead us to "seek the face of the Lord always, that in patience ye may possess your souls, and ye shall have eternal life" (D&C 101:38). This I testify.
No comments:
Post a Comment