Thursday, September 26, 2013

"As also He is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made" (D&C 88:8)

I have now ridden in two rides that involved night riding. One of the things that really sticks out on both of these rides is the moon and its light. This scripture would go through my mind: "As also He is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made" (D&C 88:8). Seeing the light of the moon made me ponder the power of God, His creations, and how blessed I am to enjoy them. The light of the moon is powerful and beautiful. The words of the Savior again teach me of His power: "Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God...I am the light which shineth in darkenss, and the darkness comprehendeth it not" (D&C 6:21).

Christ is light (see 1 John 1:5) which shines brighter and is "the way" (see John 14:6) for all to see. Our choice is whether or not we want to see and follow His light. This became clear to me when I was riding about 1 am, with a front light, a head lamp, and the light of the moon. If I looked to my right or left it was really dark, at times pitch black. Sometimes I could see a few lights off in the distance from homes or maybe they were street lights of some sort. But, when I looked forward, with light shining the way, I knew what direction the road was going and where I needed to steer. The light I had would light up the road far enough for me to know that I was on the right path, I couldn't necessarily see all that was around me, but enough to know that I was safe. The moon was bright and full and I knew that if I went too far left or right I would fall off the road. Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley said: "And so it is with our eternal journey. We take one step at a time. In doing so we reach toward the unknown, but faith lights the way. If we will cultivate faith, we shall never walk in the darkness." He continues: "The challenge which faces every member of this Church is to take the next step, to accept that responsibility to which he is called, even though he does not feel equal to it, and to do so in faith with the full expectation that the Lord will light the way before him" (We Walk by Faith).

There have been times in my life that are like that, with only limited light to light my way. But it is light, and this light is "the light of truth; which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ" (D&C 88:6-7). In those times when I haven't had as much light to see what may or may not happen, I have had to trust the light I did have, the truth that I knew and had already learned for myself. Christ taught: "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12). Christ lights the way for us, even when we may feel that all is dark around us. He has promised that as we live our lives to testify of Him and His truth He will "go before your face. [He] will be on your right hand on your left, and [His] Spirit shall be in your hearts, and [His] angels round about you, to bear you up" (D&C 84:88).

Jesus Christ is the light of this world. He is "in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made" (D&C 88:8). He leads us in light and truth as we walk by faith and trust the light He gives us. Truly, we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us (see Philippians 4:13).

This is a ride on Antelope Island that was at night.
Before it got completely dark the moon was shining above all the cars.

My Dad- Fred, brother-in-law- Kevin, and my brother-David. They are my cohorts in riding and a light in my life
The four of us before our night ride with our shirts. 

The four of us after the ride on Antelope Island. It was a ton of fun!


This is David on our most recent ride from Salt Lake City to St. George. It was a relay. He had just finished one of his legs. We each did 6 legs, averaging 100 miles each.

This is my dad waiting for his leg at night. It got really cold! The reflective vest is shining from the flash of the camera.
Couldn't have done the Salt to Saint Relay without the most amazing support of all! Jeff is incredible (understatement).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

True, true. Only when we leave the safety of our distractions, there in chiarscuro, we commune with the great mystery and know the Light of the World.

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful way of teaching truth. I love you, Jennifer.