Friday, September 21, 2012

"We do not doubt our mothers knew it." (Alma 56:48)

Another Happy Birthday to me! I love celebrating my birthday, but I have thought that perhaps I should be celebrating my mother on this day, for she is the one who gave birth to me, thus her "birth" day. As I have thought about birthdays, I have concluded that for every person on earth there is a woman who has been willing to give them life. These mothers should be celebrated. The sacrifice of all things, her body, blood, time, talents, and much more to bring a child into this world, let alone raising a child, cannot be compared. The Guide to the Scriptures gives this definition for mother: "A sacred title referring to a woman who bears or adopts children. Mothers assist in God's plan by providing mortal bodies for God's spirit children" (Guide to the Scriptures: Mother). Motherhood is an incredible responsibility that too often is minimized in our fast paced world. A woman who is willing to give up her body, and share in the creation of God's children thus fulfills part of her divine responsibility. Also as mothers, being that we are all mothers (see Genesis 3:20; Moses 4:26; Blog post), we help "lead, guide, and walk beside" others on their way through this life (I Am A Child of God).

Here are just a few scriptures and thoughts I want to share that remind me and help me celebrate my "birth"day, my mother, and motherhood. I hope that as you read these you too may ponder the power of  "motherhood" in your life, from all the various women who have taught, guided, loved, lifted, and inspired you to be who you really are.

The deterioration of the family is of great concern to the Prophet and the Apostles (Elder L. Tom Perry). Mothers can and do make an eternal difference. "Pure love is an incomparable, potent power for good. Righteous love is the foundation of a successful marriage. It is the primary cause of contented, well-developed children. Who can justly measure the righteous influence of a mother's love? What enduring fruits result from the seeds of truth that a mother carefully plants and lovingly cultivates in the fertile soil of a child's trusting mind and heart? As a mother you have been given divine instincts to help you sense your child's special talents and unique capacities. With your husband you can nurture, strengthen, and cause those traits to flower" (Elder Richard G. Scott). One of the gifts my mother gave me was the example she set in never criticizing my father. Even with all the long hours he worked (and continues to work even at the age of 72) and the times of little to no income, raising 5 children pretty much on her own (because he was working so much), I cannot recall her ever saying a derogatory thing about my father. In her "pure love" for my father, she set an example about marriage and child rearing that will span generations.

The power and influence of a mother is evident in the 2000 stripling soldiers who were led into battle by the prophet Helaman (see Alma 53:22). They are described as thus: "And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all- they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted. Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him" (Alma 53:20-21). Why were these 2000 young men like this? From the words of their prophet leader, Helaman, we are told: "Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they did rehearse unto [Helaman] the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it" (Alma 56:47-48). They had been taught by their mothers that if they had faith in God, He would deliver them. By the things she says and does a mother teaches her children through example  The stripling warriors were delivered from death by God. My mother, even though she never said those exact words, she lived them. In times of trial, sorrow, challenges, and joy my mother always lived the example of faith, living and teaching her children that she did not doubt, God would deliver us.

One last scripture: "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her" (Proverbs 31:28). After many birthdays, I have come to see, hear, and witness this statement about my mother. My father always praises her, and is so proud of who she is and the example she is to her posterity. What a blessing to have a matriarch who leads by faith, love, and purity. Mother's are invaluable, more precious than gold. As Elder Richard G. Scott speaks of his wife, I am sure my father would these same words: "I know what it is to love a daughter of Father in Heaven who with grace and devotion lived the full feminine splendor of her righteous womanhood" (The Eternal Blessings of Marriage).

As righteous women who sacrifice so much for their children, birthdays are really a celebration of not only the life of the person who has lived it, but also a great day to celebrate the woman who helps in the life of each child of God no matter how old the "child" is. As women of God we are mothers to many by loving, guiding, caring, teaching, and living what we know to be true. The hope is that children of God may also say, "We do not doubt our mothers knew it" (Alma 56:48) because of our example and teaching that "God will deliver us".

Me and my mother on my "birth"day. I do not doubt my mother knew it.

1 comment:

Kristy Metcalf said...

Jennifer I learned at a young age what mother's mean. My mother wasn't home she had to work I cried almost every Day for her to be at home. When I turned 21 I gave my mother up bouquet of roses because I learned it was her who gave birth not me on my birthdays. Monday is my birthday I guess I'll have to give her another bouquet. thanks for reminding me how important mothers are I love you Jennifer You're a wonderful mother your self.