Sunday, September 09, 2012

"Hearken ye to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world." D&C 43:34

I have been doing a lot of bike riding lately. As I ride, I am frequently alone, with the wind blowing and rushing by as I pump hard. It is such a great feeling to be able to climb a steep or long hill. It is awesome to look out over the valley and see the beautiful world that has been created for us to enjoy. For whatever reason, when things get hard on a ride or towards the end of a challenging ride, there is a primary song that pops into my head. It is called "Beautiful Savior" (Primary Songs #62). The words are these:

"Fair is the sunshine, fairer the moonlight
 And all the stars in heav'n above.
 Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
 And brings to all the world His love. 
Fair are the meadows, fairer the woodlands 
Robed in the flowers of blooming spring.
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer. 
He makes the sorrowing spirit sing. 
Beautiful Savior! Lord of the nations!
Son of God and Son of man!
Thee I honor, praise and give glory, 
Give praise and glory every more! 
Ever more!

Well, after nearly being hit yesterday I have pondered the words of this song. Sometimes we are in such a rush to get wherever we are trying to go that we cut people off with our actions or even simply by not hearing them or communicating with them. We miss all the beauty that is right before us not only in His creations, but also in simple acts of kindness and service. Jesus does shine brighter. He does make the "sorrowing spirit sing". Christ simply says: "Hearken ye to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds" (D&C 43:34). When we slow down, even just for a moment, we can actually feel and see the power of our Creator in our lives. 

Jesus lives. He loves us and wants us to have joy in our daily life (see 2 Nephi2:25). We do this as we take time to "see". This I testify makes a powerful difference in everyday living.

No comments: