Monday, June 04, 2012

"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17)

This past week has been a week of learning. I ended up, by default, if you will, being in charge of organizing and feeding about 80 people for a water polo event. I didn't get to decide the date, the location, or the menu. For whatever reason, I was in a really grouchy mood because people hadn't paid for their meals and I needed a head count to know how much food to order, and decided I was upset about the date when this past week began. I was doing some minor complaining to some other women about the date being so late. The next day, I received a text from one of the women apologizing for making the banquet so late after the season ended. Needless to say, I felt horrible because in my selfish frustration, I had forgotten who had been there to start the planning and organizing of this event. These good women did the best they could, they didn't need criticism. I immediately sent a text back and apologized for my attitude and thanked her for all she was doing.

After I received that text I realized a lot of things. We so readily quote the scripture, "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17) that we forget that it encompasses a broader view of things than just serving each other. It also means this: What attitude you serve your fellow beings you are also serving your God with that same attitude. When I realized this, that my attitude was not what it should be, I wanted to change it, immediately! Having this new perspective made all the difference. I wanted to be cheerful serving God. I realized when God says, "All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good" (D&C122:7) isn't just a nice thought, but it is an eternal truth. He knows exactly what we need in order to progress. It is us who gets things all mixed up and want to take needless control. God really is in charge. We get to make choices, but we don't get to choose the consequences, whether good or bad. We also get to choose the attitude in which we serve, and boy are things a lot easier if we have a good attitude!

When I realized that I needed an attitude change I was able to be open to learning so many more things. I learned how to cook ribs for 50 people, which can easily be expanded to 80 or 100. This is a great skill and I learned I don't really want to be a caterer. I learned that complaining can hurt other people, especially good, innocent people and that hopefully (I know I will have to keep working on this one) I can focus on the good that is being done by everyone. I learned that "...to be learned is good if [we] hearken unto the counsels of God" (2 Nephi 9:29). All my "knowledge" from past events is good only if I am willing to share it with a good attitude and be flexible.

God knows what we need to learn. The challenge is to "seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from His hand. For behold, ye yourselves know that He counseleth in wisdom, and in justice, and in great mercy over all His works" (Jacob 4:10 italics, bold mine). Elder Neal A. Maxwell (1926-2004) stated: "In a very real sense, all we need to know is that God knows all!" (Book Of Mormon Student Manuel, Religion 121-122; 2009, pg.67),

 I also learned this week, or rather was reminded to, "Do all things without murmurings and disputings" (Philippians 2:14). The attitude in which we serve others, is the attitude in which we serve the Lord. This I testify, makes a huge difference.

No comments: