Sunday, July 22, 2012

"The worth of a soul is great in the sight of God".
D&C 18:10

I had a professor tell me once that I wouldn't amount to much; that I would only amount to being a mother. At the time I was working on my degree in art with an emphasis in sculpture. I was his one student that would bring my infant daughter to my studio and work on my art, chiseling away at my stone sculptures. I was very angry by his comment at the time. In fact, for a long time it had been a thorn in my side. I had felt that he was right, I wouldn't amount to much as an artist. Well, he was right. And he was dead wrong. Let me explain.

He was right in the fact that I haven't amounted to much in the worlds terms as an artist or a sculptor and I probably never will. I don't have much time being a full time mother of four children and all their various needs. Some may say this is an excuse for not doing my art, but I say, I am doing my art. My art, as a mother, is that of sculpting souls. The Lord's work is all about His children, teaching, nurturing, guiding, strengthening His children; helping us become our best self. The best self being "children of Christ" (4 Nephi 1:17). As an artist I found that sculpture takes time and patience. Being a mother and fulfilling my role of nurturing children also takes time and patience. Creating a masterpiece isn't done in a day, or even a year. A masterpiece is timeless and often has infinite value. I can't put a price tag on the value of teaching or guiding my children in the ways of truth and righteousness.

When we put our family first, whether in the role of father, mother, sister, brother, daughter, son, or likewise, we are sculpting souls; this being God's greatest work (see D&C18:10Moses 1:39). Perhaps the world will never tell me that I am a great artist. In fact, the world may even say I am a failure because I haven't "sold" any of my work. But that's okay with me; the goal was never to sell, but to create. Each of us must decide what we really want to create in this life. Time and creating are valuable gifts each of us have; and the greatest artwork we can participate in is "the worth of a soul" (see D&C 18:10). 

1 comment:

Tricia said...

There is no greater work than that in the HOME! You are such an example to me. So thankful for YOU... Thanks for this reminder because at times I wonder where my talents are? So much of me is lost in motherhood but it is good and it is worth it. I am not lost, I am "DOING" what I know and feel is of most importance. Teaching, nurturing, and strengthening, HIS children.