Monday, January 09, 2012

"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" (D&C 88:6)

Friends are invaluable. They are a source of strength in times of need, joy, pain, sorrow, renewing, aging, birth, death, and just life. Friendships change and they grow. A true friend is one that forgives and loves even when we aren't perfect. I have found friends that will never fail me, they are full of wisdom, and I can turn to them any time. I love the advice I receive from these friends because it is never wrong if I follow the advice I receive from them. I am never manipulated or coerced, but always loved into action. It is a great relationship. If we don't have any contact for a while, we immediately reunite and I am so glad we do and I always think, "Why did I wait so long to visit these friends", because it is always my choice if we don't keep in touch.

These friends are the scriptures or often called the standard works- The Old and New Testaments, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price (you can access them all here). I love spending time with these friends. They are so filled with love, knowledge and wisdom, and truth. They are spiritual and will help us draw closer to God if we follow what they tell us to do (see The Book of Mormon: Introduction). We can all choose to be friends with the scriptures. "They can become stalwart friends that are not limited by geography or calendar. They are always available when needed. Their use provides a foundation of truth that can be awakened by the Holy Ghost. Learning, pondering, searching, and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths that can be called upon anytime, anywhere in the world" (Elder Richard G. Scott). In this world, we all need friends that will lead us and help us draw closer to Christ.

I would like to share a couple of my "best friends" (for this is what they have become to me) with you and take just a few brief moments and explain why they have become so treasured to me.

One of my dearest friends is found in 1 Nephi. It is when Nephi is given the vision his father had of the tree of life. Nephi is asked by the angel if he knows the "condescension of God" (1 Nephi 11:16). Nephi replies: "I know that He loveth His children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things" (1 Nephi 11:17). Nephi admits he doesn't understand all of God's ways or reasons. What he does know is that God loves His children. This has given me great strength and comfort many times and continues to do so. I don't understand everything that everyone goes through, but I know we are loved and God has a reason for everything. Sometimes our trials can become our greatest blessing. If we ponder the atonement, it was the greatest trial for the Savior of us all, and is the greatest blessing and gift for all of us (see D&C 19:16-19).

I have mentioned and talked about this friend before. It has blessed my life many times. It is simple and straight forward. "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not" (D&C 6:36). As children of God, we must move forward in this life, which is a temporary separation from our Father in Heaven, with faith. Because of the veil of forgetfulness it is too easy to not remember who we really are and sometimes wander around fearing what may or may not happen. My dad has frequently given me great advice. He says you shouldn't worry about what you can't control. When we look to our Father in Heaven we can quit worrying about all the "stuff" we can't control, like our children's behavior, or if our children are going to get in a car accident, or if we are going to lose our job, or if we may or may not get sick, or whatever life may bring us....Instead, we must "...look to God and live" (Alma 37:47)! ~ That is another great friend.

Great friends help us live! God wants us to LIVE! "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25). To truly live and have joy is to "live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you" (Alma 34:38). This is joy~ recognizing that the Lord is aware of us, and loves us and blesses us with all we have. When we "always remember Him" (D&C 20:77,79) we are seeing God in our lives and living in thanksgiving daily for the "tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he that chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance" (1 Nephi 1:20 italics added). We are so loved!!!

These are some of my best and dearest friends. They have lifted, carried, guided, taught, and loved me through life. These friends, the scriptures, are from a loving, all powerful, all knowing God, who loves us and wants us to have joy. Read them. Study them. Get to know them and you will have a relationship not only with the scriptures, but with the Lord. The promise is, "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" (D&C 88:63, see also Psalms 69:18; Zech. 1:3-4, Ezra 8:22-23). We can all use more friends and there are many good ones to be had. The Savior Himself said, "Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks" (D&C 98:1). There is no better friend than the Savior. This I testify.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT of LIFE
................................................................................

There is no greater and
no more thrilling CHALLENGE

than to try to LEARN of CHRIST and walk in HIS steps.

Our model, JESUS CHRIST, walked this earth as "the Exemplar."

................................................................................

He is our ADVOCATE with the FATHER.

He worked out the great ATONING SACRIFICE

so we could have a FULNESS of JOY
and be EXALTED in accordance with HIS GRACE
and our REPENTANCE and RIGHTEOUSNESS.

................................................................................

He did all things PERFECTLY
and commands that we be PERFECT
even as He and His Father are PERFECT.

"What would JESUS do ?"
— or —
"What would JESUS have me do ?"

are paramount personal questions of this life.

................................................................................

That man or woman is most truly SUCCESSFUL

whose life most closely parallels
that of the Master JESUS CHRIST.

______________________________________

GREATER is the VALUE of ETERNAL LIFE

______________________________________

IF I stand firm, steadfast, and immovable to

the PRINCIPLES of the GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST,

I will be GIVEN great inner hidden POWERS
and unseen STRENGTHS.

I will be ENDOWED with FULL and POTENT
SPIRITUAL RESOURCES.

..............................................................................