Thoughts have been rambling around my brain like stones in glass, breaking off little parts here and there. I start to write and fragments come forth, but nothing comes together. I feel like I have days like this. A lot. Fragmented days. Some of it comes from pain, others just from being disorganized. And other fragments...just come. But fragments, when put together make a whole piece. Fragments suggest bits and pieces. To me, bits and pieces can be blessings that reflect light off the broken glass and give new insight to where there was none before. I love receiving a "fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world" (Bible Dictionary, Repentance). Too much light, when I have one of those killer headaches, can make things worse. A fragment of light is sometimes sufficient to get me through the day, leading to where I need to be, eventually making it possible for me to complete all the ramblings and make a whole piece. I have come to conclude that fragments aren't all bad, they can be good and used to lift us and guide us.
Jesus Christ fed many hungry people (see John 6:5-14; Mark 6:32-44; Matthew 14:13-21) Each time He instructed His disciples to "...gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost" (John 6:12). There was to be no waste. The Lord doesn't want us to waste what He gives us, leaving fragments behind that can change our lives, those little morsels of light and truth. One "fragment" that I learned about today was this simple truth. Sometimes we think we need to "steady the ark of God" (D&C 85:8) "when the oxen [have] stumbled" (2 Samuel 6:6-7), meaning that we think we need to make things right because 'so and so' isn't doing things how they are 'suppose' to do them. So, we are going to enforce them and "steady the ark". When in reality, God doesn't need help steadying the ark. God knows exactly what is going on with the Church. He knows exactly what is going on with the "crazy" Sunday School class, the bishop that may seem too busy for us, much less the prophet who we may have an issue with. President David O. McKay said: "It is a little dangerous for us to go out of our own sphere and try unauthoritatively to direct the efforts of a brother. You remember the case of Uzzah who stretched forth his hand to steady the ark [see 1 Chronicles 13:7–10]. He seemed justified when the oxen stumbled in putting forth his hand to steady that symbol of the covenant. We today think his punishment was very severe. Be that as it may, the incident conveys a lesson of life. Let us look around us and see how quickly men who attempt unauthoritatively to steady the ark die spiritually. Their souls become embittered, their minds distorted, their judgement faulty, and their spirit depressed. Such is the pitiable condition of men who, neglecting their own responsibilities, spend their time in finding fault with others" (In Conference Report, Apr. 1936, pg. 60).
From this fragment I was led to another fragment of "light and truth" (D&C 93:36). Rather than spending time trying to "steady the ark" that needs no steadying, I can spend time helping to carry something else. It is really simple, "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2). When we are helping to lift another's burdens we have no time to criticize or find fault. Rather we are filled with charity. When we "clothe [our]selves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace" (D&C 88:125), darkness leaves, peace comes and more light and truth fill us up. We become changed as we help our fellowman, being more alive spiritually. This is exactly what we want to happen. We become "converted unto the Lord" (Alma 23:6).
Fragments of light help us to draw closer to Christ and become converted to Him (see 3 Nephi 28:23). He will "give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto [His] precepts, and lend and ear unto
[His] counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth [He] will give more..." (2 Nephi 28:30). Let us receive the those bits of light, even the Light of Jesus Christ, especially if our days seem a little fragmented. This I testify.
1 comment:
Thank you for your insighteful remarks and supporting qotes. Just what I was looking for. :)
Post a Comment