Sunday, May 02, 2010

"Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection". (D&C130:18)

Did you know that intelligence and obedience are connected?
I have always wanted to be a smart person, but never really considered myself to be all that “smart”, partly because I stink at math and I am not that great of a speller (thank heavens for spell check, and even then I make mistakes. Please forgive me.) There is always someone smarter (of course). But as I started to ponder intelligence, real intelligence, it’s not at all about how smart I am. It is all about how obedient I am.

Now, I can already feel some of you squirming. Obedience?! Follow rules! Have someone tell me what to do, yeah right, …….you get the idea. But honestly, let’s talk intelligence.

The worlds definition of intelligence is this: "the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations: REASON; also: the skilled use of reason" (Merriam-Webster). We all gain intelligence through the experiences we have, the information we gather, and the things we allow into our mind, and from our own behavior. So, my question is, what is the best way to get intelligence? Of course there is an answer, and one has an advantage over others in gaining more intelligence, and the only true advantage comes from obedience. Obedience to laws of the land allow us freedom to learn and excel in the things we seek knowledge in and therefore gain more intelligence. We also gain intelligence from being obedient to to the laws of God and receive eternal blessings that are unfathomable.

The promise is this: "Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come" (D&C 130:18-19). True intelligence can only come from following truth through "diligence and obedience". Anyone can learn to be devious, or manipulative, or take advantage of one's neighbor. Where real intelligence comes in is when we keep our integrity, our loyalty, our morals when everyone else and all else beckons us and calls us to do otherwise.

Having been betrayed and treated as an outcast, looked upon as one who takes advantage of others when I know in my heart I am doing all I can to stay true to the principles that are right, it is so hard to not give into bitterness and cynicism (understatement). Taking a stand for what is right when there is shouting and cheering for those who are doing things that are blatantly wrong is very difficult. I testify of this! It is hard to be called names and black listed by friends, or people I thought were friends. But, in reality, I could never stand before my Maker and say, "I was more afraid of them, than I was of holding onto what was right." (I pray our children will have the courage to do that when they are faced with temptations that will confront them, for they most assuredly will.)

Some days, I will admit, I have to hope there is justice, because life doesn't seem fair, even though I know in God's view it really is. And over all, I know that things will work out how they are suppose to. The following scripture has given me great hope, and new understanding as I have struggled to understand some of the things I have had to go through. "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated— And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated" (D&C 130:20-21). Blessings are granted upon obedience. At times it may appear that others receive so much and have so much when they are so disobedient to the laws of God. But I cannot worry about others. I can only worry about my own intelligence, my own diligence and obedience in seeking this intelligence which I desire so much. If I end up doing something that goes against the truth that I know, such as the Golden Rule, then I will lose intelligence. And I will also lose blessings. I must be obedient to the truths that I know are right, no matter how much I want justice. I am not the judge. I am not the great equalizer. I am learning that it takes more intelligence to be patient, forgiving, kind, slow to anger, and many more things when the world, or even the natural woman inside of me is shouting to just "give in and get even." Especially if the other person "deserves it." Well, I am sure I "deserve it" too. There are times when we all "deserve it", but that's not how we are going to get any more intelligent, by getting even with each other. We can only get more intelligence by putting off "the natural man" and "yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit" (Mosiah 3:19).

It makes sense to me now why "The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth" (D&C 93:36). It is because He never yielded to the natural man. He overcame ALL. He says, "Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me" (D&C 19:23). It is so true, when I respond to any situation in a Christ like manner, I feel incredibly good, so peaceful and filled with joy. It is in those moments that I know I am gaining true intelligence. God's intelligence. I love getting "light and truth". It feels good to be intelligent! This I testify.

No comments: