In my scripture study the other day I read a couple of verses that started me pondering about the role of patience in making decisions. As I have applied this scripture to myself, a quorum being "a particularly chosen group" (quorum), could be applied to a family (or any other group). Thus, for personal purposes I put in the word "family" in place of quorum. The scripture is this:
"The decisions of [the family]... are to be made in all righteousness, in holiness, and lowliness of heart, meekness and long suffering, and in faith, and virtue, and knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and charity. Because the promise is, if these things abound in them they shall not be unfruitful in the knowledge of the Lord" (D&C 107:30-31).
This started me to think about how I make decisions and that I sometimes make them in a heightened emotional state. What if I really tried to be conscious of how I made my decisions and choices? To think that I would make a decision "made in all holiness", or "in faith and virtue, and knowledge"? If I have faith in Christ that He knows all things and coupled that with virtue, and got all the knowledge or correct information before I made a decision, what difference would that make in my relationships, in and out of my family ties? (As I continue to study this, I am finding that I have more questions than answers...and I have a heck of a long way to go. I will continue practicing making good choices)
The one that really jumped out at me was to make decisions "in all...temperance, [in all] patience". Temperance means: "moderation or self-restraint in action, statement, etc.; self-control"(temperance). I figure when the Lord is putting temperance and patience together, there is really a need to emphasize being in control of myself and how I treat others. I must ask myself, what kind of difference would making decisions "in all patience" make? And then I ask myself how I am actually doing in being patient in making all decisions...that's a great question for which I believe my answer will be eternally sought after.
![]() |
| I love these amazing people more than words can express |
| My son that is serving a mission in Argentina. I sure love him... And miss him! Yet I know the decision to serve the Lord on a mission is the right one for him. |
![]() |
| The decisions I make and how I make them influence these beloved souls! |


No comments:
Post a Comment