Sunday, August 21, 2016

"I can do all things through Christ which stengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13)

This morning started out rough. My foot hasn't been so kind when I wake up lately (info about my foot can be read here). I started to feel sorry for myself. (not a great idea- I don't recommend it). So, I had to change my thinking. I put on some music that had lifted my spirits in the past (Scripture Lullabies). It did the same for me this time. The scriptures and the words of Christ filled me and comforted me. It is really powerful what pondering and thinking about the words of Christ does. It changes my heart. It cheers me up. It lifts me and comforts me. Here are just a few words that have really made a difference for me.

"Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God" (D&C 101:16 see also Psalms 46:10). The words: "be still and know that I am God" are powerful. To be still is to be calm, subdued, free from commotion, peaceful. I love taking time each day to "be still". Sometimes, it is just a moment, but that stillness fills me with His peace. And as it does, I am able to keep trying, keep loving, and I trust God- that everything will work out.

Which leads me to the next words: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5). "Trust in the Lord" is setting aside my worry and then knowing that everything works out for the good (see D&C 90:24; Romans 8:28). I can't focus on whether or not this is a permanent condition or if I will be able to ever hike or bike again. I must set it aside, let that worry go and trust in the Lord. When I do this, that's when the pain leaves me and I can go about my day (even if it is only walking to the couch on a bad day).

And the next words are: "I can do all things through Christ which stengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13). When I focus on the power given to me through Christ, I am strengthened in so many ways. I have courage to endure. I have the strength to serve in small ways, and be grateful that I can. I am able to have the strength to change and grow in ways I hadn't thought possible. It's pretty awesome when I have the strength to do all things because of Christ. For me, "all things" is not always what man thinks is important. "All things" has a very different meaning than what the world would think. How have you been strengthened?

The last words I will share today are: "...Go and do..." (1 Nephi 3:7). I find these to be such important words. Sometimes I am feeling so sorry for myself that I don't go and do those things that will help me get stronger physically and spiritually. But to "go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded" becomes easy when I put my trust in Him and know that in Him, I can do all things. And part of doing all things is the going part. GO. Go and do good. It feels so good. This I testify.

The other day I got to spend time with my son waiting at the doctors office. Love this boy!

I love that he will be goofy with me and is so kind and patient with me.

I got to make a flourless chocolate cake...now that was one delicious cake...chocolate pretty much always helps (haha).

No comments: