| Joyce and in in 2010- BTW she hated having her picture taken |
I met Joyce serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Arizona Phoenix mission. She was my mothers age. I still laugh at our first words together as we drove to our apartment. I said, "We will get along great if you don't try and act like my mother". Joyce replied, "We will get along great if you don't act like my daughter". We both ended up laughing. The real blessing was, we ended up being life long friends and definitely at times, she was a second mother to me. Whenever I think of her I always think of the words of the son's of Helaman: "We do not doubt, our mothers knew it" that "God would deliver them" (Alma 56:47-48). She would always tell me, "things work out. It will be okay." Things do always work out and things are okay, even when it's hard.
Boy did we laugh a lot over the years! Her laugh was infections, light, and melodic. I loved her laugh. Even when I last saw her in October, we laughed. Through the years, when I would call her and tell her of my woes, she would often find the humor in the situation and we would laugh and cry together. She taught me there is "a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance" (Eccl. 3:4). And boy could she dance! (like Tina Turner for sure!)
You know, even though it is hard that my beautiful friend, Joyce, has left this life, I am filled with peace from the knowledge the gospel brings to me. I know I will see my friend again. I also know when I see her she will be "perfect" (see Alma 11:44). I have been so blessed by her friendship. "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" (Philippians 1:3). Have a happy birthday my friend! Until we meet again.
| Joyce, or Nana to my children, with all 4 of my children in 2010. |
| Joyce and I in December of 2014. We were making a "goofy-face" for the camera. |
No comments:
Post a Comment