When we were in Washington D.C. recently we were able to visit the Arlington Cemetery, many historical monuments, and some of the war memorials. The Arlington Cemetery is a very quiet, sacred, and peaceful place. When I looked out over the white headstones it hit me that all these people (more than 300,000 people and their dependents) sacrificed in some way for our freedom. It is mind blowing and very humbling for me to ponder this.
 |
| Walking through Arlington Cemetery |
The next day we were able to visit: The Jefferson, The Vietnam War, The Korean War, The Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Jr, and the Franklin Roosevelt Memorials. Memorial is defined as "something, especially a structure, established to remind people of a person or event" (
memorial). All these memorials were there to help us remember these events and people, never to be forgotten, but always remembered. I also realized that all these people and events were part of defending freedom. In the Korean War Memorial there is a quote chiseled into granite that says, "Freedom is not free". It is placed next to all the numbers of whom were missing, killed, wounded, or prisoners of war. There is always a sacrifice that is made for freedom to be had, kept, and lived. I ask myself, "What am I willing to sacrifice that I may have freedom and others as well?"
"Freedom is not free". As I pondered all those who have sacrificed for our freedom in the United States and throughout the world, I realized there has been an atoning sacrifice for all of us to have our freedom. It is the great and last sacrifice (see
Alma 34:14), even Jesus Christ who sacrificed all so that we too would be "free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil" (
2 Nephi 2:27). We have a memorial every week to remember this sacrifice. It is the sacrament (learn more
here). It is a sacred reminder for all, that Christ gave His life for us so that we could be free to choose to follow Him. This I testify.
 |
| At the Lincoln Memorial |
 |
| This is the Arlington Cemetery, a beautiful reminder for all that "He is Risen" and we all shall be, too! This is freedom from death given to us through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ |
 |
| Quote on the Jefferson Memorial. What a beautiful thing for us to remember! |
 |
| "Freedom Is Not Free" - at the Korean War Memorial |
No comments:
Post a Comment