Tuesday, January 06, 2015

"Behold the Lamb of God" (John 1:36)

I caught a short glimpse of an art show on TV-  something about beholding the images of Christ. The one phrase that keeps going over and over in my mind is something like this: "To behold is a very sacred act". I'm not sure if that is exactly what the woman said, but it caught my attention. What does it mean to "behold'? The word "behold" is used over 1100 times in the scriptures. So, I had to look it up and know exactly what it meant...or at least try and understand why it would be considered "a sacred act".

The dictionary definition is: "to observe; look at; see", which is a verb. It is also as an interjection: "look; see". Some synonyms that gave me more of an in depth view of this word are: contemplate, discern, notice, perceive, witness. When I started to ponder these words, and what 'behold" truly means when used as a verb I realized that when it is used in the scriptures, in many instances, we are being invited to participate in a sacred act of seeing and viewing. Pondering this powerful word that I had so easily skipped over in my scripture study, I couldn't but help see things just a little differently. I was moved, touched, and the desire to change came as I read and pondered this new discovery. Here are just a few of the scriptures I looked up:

"Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29; John 1:36).

"For behold, it is I that speak; behold, I am the light which shineth in darkness, and by my power I give these words unto thee" (D&C 11:11)

"For behold, this is my work and my glory- to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39)

"Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet" (D&C 6:37)

Words are powerful. When we ponder their meaning and then apply them to ourselves and our own lives they become more than mere words on a page. They become catalysts for change. They become images and reflections of who we are. I have come to discover for myself that "beholding is a sacred act". "Behold the Lamb of God" (John 1:36). This I testify.

Other media/image resources found here




1 comment:

Patricia Smith said...

Thank you for your insight, sister! I have wondered about this word and you have taught additional meaning so beautifully.