Thursday, May 15, 2014

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him" (James 1:5)

I have been doing what I call a "fast read" of the Book of Mormon. It's when I have a couple of questions that I want answered and I ask those questions as I read. I try and finish the Book of Mormon within a 6-8 week period or less. Some of the questions I have asked are, "What is my purpose?" or "How can I draw closer to Christ?" As I have done this each time I am always impressed by the increase of Spirit that I feel in my life. I always have more peace and calmness when I do this.

 I love asking questions and receiving answers. In the Doctrine and Covenants we are taught, "But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally" (D&C 46:7). And again in the Bible, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him" (James 1:5). Over and over the words of Christ are: "Ask, and ye shall receive" (see John 16:24; 1 John 3:22; D&C 103:31; 3 Nephi 27:29; D&C 49:26; Matt. 21:22; 3 Nephi 18:20). God wants us to ask, and He will answer by the power of the Holy Ghost.

I encourage you to ask questions as you read the Book of Mormon. You can ask any question or questions that you are sincerely wanting answers to and intend to follow whatever promptings you're given (see Moroni 10:3-5). Do not "ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts" (James 4:3). Asking with real intent sometimes requires changes in life that may be difficult or, perhaps, small changes that will make a significant difference in your life. One question I encourage you to ask, "Is not this real?" (Alma 32:35) or "is what I am reading true" (see Moroni 10:3-5)? I promise as you ask the questions you seek answers to "...by the power of the Holy Ghost [you] may know the truth of all things" (Moroni 10:5). This I testify.

Original painting by J. Kirk Richards, notice the cover of the Ensign magazine, April 2014 (found here). It reminds me daily to ask and always remember Him.



Need a copy of the Book of Mormon? Get one here.

(Not sure of what to ask? Here are some suggestions: How can I increase in faith in Jesus Christ? How can I draw closer to God? What is my purpose? How can I be more happy today, and every day? I will often ask one to three questions as I do a "fast read" and highlight each answer for the different question with a different colored pencil. Go and ask. It will change your life!)

No comments: