When my children were little, before we would go anywhere I would ask them what my expectations were or what did I require of them for whatever particular outing or place we were going. Most often they were simple expectations, such as no arguing when it's time to leave, or hold onto the shopping cart, or hold hands in the parking lot. I learned that if I explained what I expected from my children there were fewer explosions or frustrations from any of us and such requirements were most often for their protection, both physically and emotionally. As I have thought about expectations I wondered, "What does Heavenly Father expect or require of His children? " Well, as I have been searching for answers, it is really pretty simple and this is what I have concluded.
What God expects from all of His children is the same for everyone "...the one being is as precious in his sight as the other" (Jacob 2:21). His expectations are simple and straightforward; "...for the selfsame end hath He created them, that they should keep His commandments and glorify Him forever" (Jacob 2:21). This same command or expectation, to keep His commandments is repeated in the Doctrine and Covenants: "Behold, this is your work, to keep my commandments, yea, with all your heart, might, mind, and strength" (D&C 11:20). Everyone of us will be "proved" and "tried" as to whether or not we choose to follow God's commandments. "And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them" (Abraham 3:25). The Savior taught: "If ye love me keep my commandments" (John 14:15). It's not subject to opinion which commandments we should live, we don't get to pick and choose which ones we live, rather we get to choose whether or not we want to be obedient to God by keeping all of His commandments. Gratefully, the "laws of God...are given to us by a loving Heavenly Father" (Pres. Thomas S. Monson).
God doesn't expect us to be robots and He has no desire to control us. Rather, "men (meaning the human family-the family of Adam) are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil" (2 Nephi 2:27). Again we are taught: "...ye are free; ye are permitted to act for yourselves; for behold, God hath given unto you a knowledge and He hath made you free" (Helaman 14:30). The truth is we are free to choose whether we want to be obedient to God or be obedient to Satan.
I used to be in the camp that the idea of obedience is restrictive. When in reality, "obedience leads to true freedom...Obedience to righteous principles [offers] freedom from social diseases, shame, degradation and feelings of guilt" (Obedience: The Path to Freedom). The Savior taught: "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:31-32). When we are taught truth and we choose to live it, we are free. It is the only way for true freedom.
I love the words of King Benjamin when he teaches his people about what God expects or requires of us. He said: "And behold, all that He requires of you is to keep His commandments; and He has promised you that if ye would keep His commandments ye should prosper in the land; and He never doth vary from that which He hath said" (Mosiah 2:22). These are clear words about what God expects, and He loves us enough to give us these precious guidelines.
Being obedient is true freedom. It is the way to happiness and joy in this life and in the life to come. This I testify.

No comments:
Post a Comment