Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"...seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom" (D&C 88:118)

I must confess something. I am having an affair...with the scriptures. I love the scriptures! Honestly, these are my favorite books. I have derived more inspiration, guidance, understanding and love of others, and so much more as I have feasted on these fat books of knowledge, and divine inspiration (see 2 Nephi 31:20; 2 Timothy 3:16). Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley describes exactly how I feel about the scriptures and my personal scripture study. He said: "I do not claim distinction as a scholar of the scriptures. For me, the reading of the scriptures is not the pursuit of scholarship. Rather, it is a love affair with the word of the Lord and that of his prophets. They contain so much for each of us" (Feasting upon the Scriptures). This love affair is awesome for my marriage, for my family, for our children, for my relationship with God. This love affair has stirred a desire in me to be a better wife, a better mother, a better daughter of God. The power of the scriptures can't be stated enough.

When the Lord said, "And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith" (D&C 88:118D&C 109:7,14), for me, He wasn't talking about reading a beautiful quote book, a college text book, or even a book from the New York Times best seller list. He was referring to the books that are the words from His mouth (see D&C 1:38), the scriptures. He says, "Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled" (D&C 1:37). "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand" (Revelations 1:3). "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. And all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man [and woman] of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:15-17).

I could go on and on about all the wonderful qualities of the scriptures and try and convince you to have your own love affair with them that will bless your life eternally. But, I won't. Rather, I would encourage you to "...seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom, yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith" (D&C 88:118D&C 109:7,14)

No comments: