Thursday, November 14, 2013

“...that the plan of restoration is requisite with the justice of God; for it is requisite that all things should be restored to their proper order” (Alma 42:2)

Unfortunately, or fortunately (I haven't decided which it is yet) I have a knack for saying things without thinking before hand what it may sound like or how it appears to others. In so doing I sometimes offend people. My intent is definitely not to offend anyone, but I seem to do this and I have lost friends because they don't tell me so that I can make things right by apologizing, thus making restitution for my behavior. My heart is one of love, but sometimes I am very direct and don't realize I have offended people. When I offend people I hope they will extend mercy and forgive me for my weaknesses and sometimes my ignorance. The Lord says, "I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men" (D&C 64:10). As I not only repent and seek forgiveness from others, I must also be willing to offer it to others whether or not they repent or make restitution. This is when I realized that forgiveness and mercy are intertwined.

Jesus taught, "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy" (Matt. 5:7; 3 Nephi 12:7). "Mercy is defined as compassion and includes feelings and acts of sympathy, kindness, forgiveness, and love" (Christlike Mercy). When we extend forgiveness to others for intentional or unintentional acts, we are being merciful. But all too often, the response is to seek "...eye for eye, tooth for tooth" (Leviticus 24:20) wanting full "justice" for whatever assault we have received. In order for God to be merciful and just to us, we must let go of "justice", or seeking revenge (note: God's justice is not revenge; and I am not talking about receiving appropriate forms of the law) because we don't have the power of justice or full restitution, but we do have the power to extend mercy and forgive.

I think that in our need or desire for justice or restitution we forget that God is a "just God, and a merciful God also" (Alma 42:15; see also Isaiah 45:21). We sometimes think that the pain we endure, or have received can only be made right by seeking "...an eye for an eye" (Matt. 5:28; 3 Nephi 12:38); we want full restitution-now! What is beautiful is that restitution means restoration; when we lose and eye Christ will be the One to give us full restitution or restoration. Thus, when we hurt someone or are hurt in any way, shape, or form, when we forgive and extend mercy, mercy can claim its own and full restoration will be made. We will be made whole, complete, and will not be without anything when we receive restitution from Christ. "For that which ye do send out shall return unto you again, and be restored; therefore, the word restoration more fully condemneth the sinner, and justifieth him not at all" (Alma 41:15). We are "free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil" (2 Nephi 2:27). When we choose mercy over justice or restitution in our way, we are choosing eternal life, Christ's life. We are putting our trust in God to make things right when we offer mercy rather than justice, that God will give us, as well as those who have hurt us, full restitution, all that seems lost will be completely restored. This includes small and large offenses, hurts, pain, or losses of any kind, whether intentional or unintentional, "all things shall be restored to their proper order" (Alma 41:2-4).

When people commit crimes, especially severe and heinous crimes, sometimes our justice system doesn't seem "fair" and people don't get the "punishment" we think they deserve. Here's the but. When we choose eternal life, we choose to extend mercy by forgiving others and allowing the law to serve what it will, we are putting our trust in the God's plan of mercy and justice. If there was only justice, and no atonement made, we would all suffer, "for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). This is exactly why we must forgive, all of us are sinners. It isn't about whether my sins aren't as bad as someone else's or if mine are worse than yours. We all sin! and therefore we all need the Atonement. And God, being just and merciful fulfilled the plan of mercy so mercy could claim its own and justice could be fulfilled also (see Alma 12:34). This means that we will receive justice for all the wrongs or offenses that have been committed against us to the extent that we are willing to give to others for the hurts they have given us. We will be made whole, completely whole, when we repent and call upon the name of Christ because we then have claim to His power and the Atonement (see Alma 12:33-35; Moses 6:57; Moses 5:8; Ether 11:8).

The "plan of mercy", also called the "plan of happiness" (Alma 42:8, 16) could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, that God might be a perfect, just God and a merciful God also" (Alma 42:15). God is both just and merciful! Therefore, when we repent and extend mercy in all its wonderful forms, including forgiving others, in the words of Alma the younger: “...yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again” (Alma 42:14). This is the plan of happiness, “...that the plan of restoration is requisite with the justice of God; for it is requisite that all things should be restored to their proper order” (Alma 41:2).

What a blessing to have a just and a merciful God who, when we turn our hearts to Him through repentance, not only fulfilled the law of restitution, but restores all things to their proper order because there are times when we have been hurt, and have also hurt others. His plan is perfect to heal and to be healed. This I testify.
This is the Provo Tabernacle that is being restored into the Provo City Center Temple.
Stockton (who always makes goofy faces), Ethan, and myself in front of the Provo City Center Temple.
Another view of the restoration of the Provo Tabernacle into the Provo City Center  Temple.

-This is a heavy topic and I have tried to explain my thoughts as concisely as possible. I pray the Spirit will help make this important doctrine clear; for it is beautiful and true. I would encourage you to study the topic of restitution and restoration on your own. Here are some links that have been helpful for me in my study of this topic: 


  • WHEN “I’M SORRY” ISN’T ENOUGH: TEACHING THE PRINCIPLE OF RESTITUTION

No comments: