This scripture has been rambling around in my head a lot lately. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (
John 14:27). If you add in the foot notes it reads as follows: "God's peace I leave with you, my contentment I give unto you". As I have pondered this scripture many things have come to mind. I would like to share just a few thoughts.
The way the world often gives peace or contentment is to search for more "stuff". Every time I try this, it only gives me temporary or fleeting "peace", but not the calm, stillness or inner peace that I know that Christ is offering me. Christ's ways are not our ways. He has a higher view and a higher way of doing things (see
Isaiah 55:8-9). He says, "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God" (
D&C 101:16; see also
Psalms 46:10). What a powerful and tender reminder that He is God. He knows all that we suffer, all that we need, all our pains and afflictions, all our temptations (see
Alma 7:11-12) . And yet, He says: "Be still and
know that I am God". Trust in Him and His ways. It's not easy, but I know it is possible no matter what our situation in life.
 |
Grateful for the "silver lining" in all things. It's evidence in the sky of God's love for us. |
When I have sought peace in more "stuff" it has only brought the burden of caring for more, well, stuff. I find it interesting that Paul says to Timothy, "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (
1 Timothy 6:6-8). We definitely don't get to carry anything out with us and thus, having "more" isn't the answer to peace. Gratitude for the blessings I have received and continue to receive brings me great peace and joy. We have been taught by prophets to "...live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you" (
Alma 34:38) and "Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things" (
D&C 59:7; see also
The Divine Gift of Gratitude). Expressing gratitude in the midst of challenges and trying times isn't easy, but it sure is peace making and joy giving.
 |
So grateful for the beautiful sunsets, even the pollution that makes them even more colorful. Definitely evidence that I am truly blessed because it reminds me that I have been blessed with a car for transportation. |
President Joseph F. Smith proclaimed: "The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!"(
Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed.[1939], 263; see also
Live in Thanksgiving Daily).
I needed this reminder that Christ does leave me with His peace. Gratitude is only one simple way to open up our hearts and feel it. I testify with the words of God that He offers us His peace as we exercise faith in Him. "Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world" (Helaman 5:47).
 |
| Grateful for an awesome husband that consistently captures our family events with photos. He's way better at remembering to take pictures than I am. So glad he does it! |
 |
| Definitely grateful for these two boys. They crack me up! I am so glad they keep me laughing because I need it. (This is a photo of them before heading off to trek at 5am) |
 |
| Definitely grateful for these two! It is so nice when Lara is home. Slade and Lara are good friends. Lara gave Slade this "football" for his birthday. (Can't believe he just turned 11!) Love it when my children are friends! |
 |
| And...I am SO grateful to be able to ride and live close to more than one temple (learn more about temples here). Both of these things make me a better wife and mother, the ultimate blessing and for which I am truly grateful to be to these amazing people in my life! |
1 comment:
Jennifer, you have a gift for words. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and inspiring me to think of the many blessings I receive on a daily basis.
Post a Comment