Friday, August 09, 2013

"Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live" (3 Nephi 15:9)

I am of the opinion that everything in life happens for a reason. Sometimes we may not like the reason, but we get to choose how we view it. This is my view of what happened and one of the many things I learned from riding in the ULCER, a century or 100 mile bike ride, with my dad. I must say thanks to my dad because I got to learn these things at his expense. I am truly grateful for his love, his example and his endurance. Here is the short version of my perspective of what took place.

On the ULCER, after riding about 80 miles, my dad's legs totally locked up with cramps. He told me he was mentally telling his legs to move, but they were frozen in pain, or perhaps more like agony. There were several people who stopped to help him as he lay on the ground after falling over because his legs cramped up so badly. There was my brother, who had been about 10 feet behind him, a doctor (he was an O.B. nevertheless, he greatly helped my dad), an EMT, and a woman (Monica) and her husband whom my dad had met and talked with on the ride. Much to my dad's chagrin, he had to SAG, or drop out of the ride. He was deeply disappointed.

At the "finish line", when my dad returned he was offered a finishers medal. I was told that at first he refused the medal, he believed he didn't deserve it because he hadn't ridden to the finish line. I found this ironic because he had done his best that day, he had completed 80 or so miles! But for my dad, it was all or nothing.

In this experience I saw this as similar to life. We are all blessed when we "endure to the end" (see Alma 32:13-15; 2 Nephi 31:20; James 5:11). But sometimes I think I have to do it all or there is no reward. This just isn't true! Just as my dad had an angel volunteer who drove him and his bike to the end, we all have angels help us get to the end. Even Christ had help as He endured all that was required of Him (see Luke 22:43).  "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved after all we can do" (2 Nephi 25:23). As much as my dad wanted to complete the 100 miles on his own, his body said, you are "finished". `And it is by the Savior, "after all we can do" (2 Nephi 25:23) we are helped to the end.

Christ said: "Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life" (3 Nephi 15:9). When we look to Christ and endure to "the end", (in my life I find there are many "ends"), "we live"! We aren't just here to live a comfy life of no challenge or danger, but we live in Light, thus learning more; more compassion, how to be more kind, more faithful, or even how to care for our bodies, minds and spirits more. We are here to experience "opposition in all things" (2 Nephi 2:11). Christ will lead us through opposition and thus to the end and eventually gives us the "medal", eternal life!
My dad and his "angel", Mike, that brought him to the finish line.

Monica and her husband, angels who stopped and helped my dad. Thank you!!!
My brother (David), me, Kevin, and my Dad. We all "endured to the end" and we live!

Me and my brother-in-law, Kevin, after we had finished. Kevin blew us all away cause he went so fast. Awesome!


Ironically enough, after my dad had been picked up by the "SAG", they came upon David and I when David got a flat. It was wonderful gift for me to see my dad after hearing of his suffering. So grateful for their help and encouragement.

It is so awesome to come in after enduring to the end and see all these wonderful family members cheering us and welcoming us back. (There is another blog right there). I am an incredibly blessed woman.

My parents who are both incredible examples of enduring in all things! I sure love these two amazing people!!!

I am so thankful for the time, support, friendship, and love of my family and my Savior in all that I do, this includes the good as well as difficult times. Over the years I have truly been blessed by many angels in my life, some I am sure don't even know they have done so. Thank you. Keep enduring and live! Hugs!

No comments: