I have a lot of knives for cooking. I have some really nice knives, some of which are big enough to be like swords. But no matter how much I paid for the knives, if they aren't sharp, they act the same...dull. It is difficult to cut things with a dull knife and it is a lot easier to cut myself with one that isn't sharp. As I was cutting some meat the other day, with a sharp knife, I realized that the Lord has given us a "knife", or better said in His terms, a sword. Christ said for us to "take...the sword of my Spirit, which I will pour out upon you, and my word which I reveal unto you" (D&C 27:18, see also Ephesians 6:17). God uses His sword to lift, guide, and bless His children. Men use "swords" for many reasons, often "focused only on punishing behavior" (Elder Lynn G. Robbins).
When we use the word of God, or His sword to lift others, we apply it as taught in D&C 121 which reads: "No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; by kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile" (vs. 41-42). The word or sword of God has "a great tendency to lead the people to do that which [is] just- yea, it [has a] more powerful effect upon the minds of...people than the sword [of man], or anything else, which [has] happened unto them- therefore...it [is] expedient that [we] should try the virtue of the word [or sword] of God" (Alma 31:5).
When we use a sharp knife or sword, to me, this means I am prepared "come what may" (Pres. Thomas S. Monson; Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin) because I have immersed myself in the "word of God" (see Articles of Faith 1:8; Luke 4:4; Alma 6:5). His word becomes "sharp" and blesses my life with the "sword of [His] Spirit" (D&C 27:18) which leads to more revelation for myself and my family.
Sister Julie B. Beck, former General Relief Society President taught, "The ability to qualify for, receive, and act on personal revelation is the single most important skill that can be acquired in this life" (And Upon the Handmaids in Those Days will I Pour Out My Spirit). Funny thing is that I actually took a "knife skills" cooking class once. The Lord offers His own "knife or sword skills" classes. They are offered each week when we attend our church meetings. Every six months we get a bonus "skills" class when we have General Conference (click here to watch a session of Conference). Attending these "classes" and the studying of the word of God leads to more personal revelation and guidance from the Holy Ghost. The sword of God helps us "quench all the fiery darts of the wicked" (Ephesians 6:16). So I say, sharpen that sword, attend your skills classes and "feast upon the word of God" (2 Nephi 31:20); this I testify, will give you more power than man could ever offer or give you; "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword" (Hebrews 4:12; see also D&C 14:2; D&C 12:2).
No comments:
Post a Comment