Wednesday, November 02, 2011

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Mark 12:31

I have been thinking a lot about burdens lately. We all have different burdens that we carry around, quite often hidden from others view, sometimes even from our own family or from people who are very close to us. We have a desire to want other people to think we are doing better than we actually are. Not because we are arrogant or think we are better than other people, I do not believe that is the reason we don't show our burdens. I believe it is because we are afraid of peoples reactions if they really knew what we are carrying. We all want to be loved, loved for who we are, children of God.

In the Hymn Lord, I Would Follow Thee (#220) it says: "Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly? In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see. Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow Thee." All too often we see someone who is doing something and we think we have the answer, only because we are seeing things from our own experiences, and not from the eyes of their experiences. Christ taught the two great commandments are: "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these" (Mark 12:30-31, see also Matt 22:37-40). Oh how I love these two commandments or should I say, this commandment. For when I love my neighbor, I am loving God. It makes "Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matt. 7:1) become clear to me. We are to "judge righteously" (see D&C 11:12), which means to make good choices, not condemn others, and definitely not put "final judgement" upon others, because that responsibility has been given to the Son, Jesus Christ (see John 5:22). We get the blessing and the responsibility of loving other people, rather than "judging" them.

But, sadly, we sometimes make poor judgments, or rather, poor choices because we forget to extend love and thus we extend incorrect perception, only seen from our view. That is why we are taught to "put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good- yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit. Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy" (D&C 11:12-13). When we extend love, or "judge righteously", to our fellow neighbors rather than extending "judgment" we are filled with joy. When we make good choices, to love our neighbors, our minds are enlightened and again, we are filled with joy.

There are many burdens we don't know about in peoples lives. Let me list a few of the burdens, from people that I have become acquainted with throughout my life and perhaps some of you may be suffering yourselves: learning disabilities; daily health problems; depression, mental health illnesses; a disabled child or parent; same-gender attraction; marriage problems; problems with children; loss of job; death of a loved one; divorce; adultery; abused (in all it's various forms); unmarried; suicide; addiction (in all it's various forms); in debt; insecurity; childless; alone; cancer or other diseases; abortion; scars; pain (in all it's various forms); stealing; lying (having by lied to or lying themselves);

I list these (and the list could endlessly go on) because we may think we know what goes on in peoples lives, but in reality, we have no idea what our neighbors are going through. What I do know is that we all need love.The second commandment: "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (Mark 12:31) is how we should be treating each other, every day. There are many good people who carry burdens that are very heavy and they need lifting. When we are baptized in my church we make a covenant with God the Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ that we are "willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light...and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death" (Mosiah 18:8-9). Let us "lift" other peoples burdens by loving them and being kind. "Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees" (Hebrews 12:12).  When we mistakenly add to their burdens by "judging" them, we can make it right and lift the burden as quickly as possible by apologizing, as soon as we are aware of what we have done. Most often, we don't intend to offend, but when we do, repent (which is to turn your heart and mind and will to God) sincerely apologizing and expressing love to our friends, family members, or neighbors.

"Standing as a witness of God at all times and in all things, and in all places" (Mosiah 18:9) is really a challenge when we are on the end of "being judged". When someone does something to us because they don't have all the information, or is done out of fear (in all it's various forms), or is unkind, or critical...the real challenge is to "love thy neighbor as thyself" (James 2:8). But as true disciples of Jesus Christ, we can put our trust in Him, and follow His example because "there is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear" (1 John 4:18). We don't need to be afraid when people wrongly judge us, it happens to all of us. Yes, it hurts, but it doesn't have to define us. Let God's love define us. "When filled with God's love, we can do and see and understand things that we could not otherwise do or see or understand. Filled with His love,we can endure pain, quell fear, forgive freely, avoid contention, renew strength, and bless and help others in ways surprising even to us" (Elder John H. Groberg)We are stronger than we think or even can comprehend. We are children of God...all of us. When someone has offended us, forgive quickly and as often as we need to (see Matt. 18:21-22) that is our responsibility, to forgive them and to love them (see D&C 64:10). Not to "judge" them. It may take time, but when our hearts desire is to keep the commandments of God we are blessed and He helps us (see Mosiah 2:22). Elder James E. Faust said: "If we can find forgiveness in our hearts for those who have caused us hurt and injury, we will rise to a higher level of self-esteem and well-being" (The Healing Power of Forgiveness). 


Burdens are carried by everyone. We can help bear one another's burdens (Mosiah 18:8) by loving our neighbors, our friends, and our families and making "righteous judgments" which to me, is making good choices, which equals loving others. The last verse in Lord, I Would Follow Thee says: "Savior, may I love my brother as I know thou lovest me. Find in Thee my strength, my beacon, for Thy servant I would be. Savior, may I love my brother- Lord, I would follow Thee" (#220). Follow the Savior, This I testify is how to love thy neighbor.

No comments: