Truly Christ did give us the best way of dealing with bullies. We call it the “golden rule” in our home. How we say it is, “treat others how you want to be treated”. When Christ came the people were living the law of Israel which was “an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth” Leviticus 4:20 Matt. 5:38 .But He taught them to live a higher law, saying, “…but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also…” Matt. 5:38-39 3 Nephi 12:39. This is really hard to tell my child who is being made fun of, let them call you names, for names don’t matter. How do I get him to ignore and not react when these children make fun of him? I think it is vital for my son to learn that there are going to be mean people throughout his life, not just in school, because even as an adult I get made fun of at times, flipped off in a car, or yelled at for my religious or political points of view, especially if I stand up for what I believe in. He has to learn to ignore the mean people, and not get angry with them, basically , “sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me”, concept. Dealing with mean people with anger can lead to violence, poor choices and poor self-esteem. I want my children to have Christ-esteem, which means to trust in the Lord. Self-esteem implies relying on oneself. What a great thing to have my child be filled with Christ-esteem! To have their identity centered in Christ. Now that is a steadfast place to be anchored Ether 12:4.
The Lord continues with His teaching, “Ye have heard that it has been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you” Matt. 5:43-44 3 Nephi 12:43-44. What an incredible concept! To love those who are my enemies. To do good to those who hate me. To pray for those who despitefully use me and persecute me.
As Easter was this past weekend, I have pondered the crucifixion of Christ and His resurrection. He was the perfect example of this very “golden rule” as He was tortured, spit upon, called names, made fun of, mocked, and betrayed. He didn’t lash out in anger even though He had the power to destroy every one of them. But more importantly He had the power to lift them in their lowest state as they did such acts of shame, to their Lord and Savior, whom they obviously knew not. Jesus Christ loved His enemies. He blessed them that cursed Him. He did good to those who hated Him (healing the ear of the servant of the high priest who had come to take Him to be tried, Luke 22:51 is just one example of this.) He even prayed for those who were despitefully using Him and persecuting Him as He hung on the cross saying, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" Luke 23:34 . He performed the perfect act for those who did wrong to Him that they might be resurrected some day through His grace and be able to stand before God the Father. He loved them enough to finish the greater task of giving them life. He is the example, the perfect example of how to handle a bully.
I pray I can teach my children this. I pray that I can have the faith to be changed, and help my children to be changed as well as they develop their own faith in Jesus Christ. For I know that He doesn't give us any commandments "save He shall prepare a for [us] that [we] may accomplish the the thing which he commandeth [us]" 1 Nephi 3:7. This I testify.
No comments:
Post a Comment