Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"...clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted" (Jacob 2:19)

.    
You know, some days are harder than others, especially when my expectations are higher and I over-extend myself. But, after one hard day I have learned a lot. I realize that I have not always been aware of the needs of others as well as I could be. And I also realized and continue to learn that connecting with others is so much more important than "things". The following scripture has brought on a whole new meaning to me: "And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good- to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted" (Jacob 2:19).  Sometimes it is so easy to focus on giving in terms of money. Money I can see and say, I gave this much. But to really clothe the naked, feed the hungry is more than just offering clothing and food. It is also about clothing others spiritually and emotionally. It is also about feeding them food for the soul. When we "liberate the captive and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted" it is helping others by expressing love, concern, actually extending service no matter how small it may seem.

Over the past month I have felt a little overwhelmed by a couple of things, even though I knew I would get through them. There were two sisters (women from my church), and one of my actual sisters who did very small acts of service that showed me what it meant to "liberate the captive" and "administer relief". In preparing for my son's missionary "farewell" and knowing that I would prepare food for about 50 people I had also over extended myself in trying to serve another family member by caring for her two young children. I felt I was in over my head. These three women saw my stress, or my "captivity" if you will, and truly gave me "relief "by very simple acts of service. They could have given me money, but that actually would not have given me "relief". Instead, they gave me their love and time in very simple ways. One sister cut-up and delivered a watermelon; another sister brought over a beautiful tray of desserts, and the third sister brought delicious trays of veggies and fruits. I felt SO loved! I felt relief and my burden was made lighter! I saw, in a whole new light, that the covenant to be "willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in" (Mosiah 18:9) is an active and real experience. It was no longer just about receiving comfort when death may come knocking, or having an ill family member, some other tragic event occurs.

These three sisters were able to mourn with me in that I felt a loss at my ability to "do it all" and I really needed help. They extended empathy and not criticism for lack of planning and over-extending myself. Rather, they recognized that I needed to be "clothed", "fed", "liberated", and given "relief". They offered comfort by their small acts of service. As they did this, I also realized they were the hands of God, they were actually standing as witnesses of God and his love for me. We get to do the same when we do seemingly small, but what ends up being significant acts of service. Throughout that day, there were many small acts of service, relief, and comfort that made that day a beautiful and wonderful day of love and joy from many other people.

Since I have had this experience I have tried to be better at not ignoring those little promptings to make that phone call, mail that letter, write the thank you, make the meal, or just hug someone, including my own children and husband! In doing this, I have had an increase of joy and love in my own life. I have also had my eyes opened to how much God really loves us and how he shares and shows that love through the service of others. This I testify.

Some of the other wonderful people who gave me relief with their small acts of service.
(Lft to rt. Sarah, Christian, Slade, Stockton, John)
Another small but wonderful act of service- helping entertain his cousin
(Ethan and James)

No comments: