Tuesday, July 14, 2015

"And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things" (1 Nephi 16:29)

On one of my trike rides I couldn't get my front derailleur (the rings in front that help you change gears) to stay in place. I actually had to hold it in place so that it would stay in a harder gear. I thought for sure it was going to cost me a fortune to fix. I rode 35 miles holding it in place, and cut my ride short because I couldn't do brakes and hold the gear in place at the same time without some difficulty. So, a few hours after my ride, and having looked things up on the internet and trying to figure it out, I showed my son the problem. He said, I think it's really simple, got out a small bike tool and simply tightened up a screw! It was such a simple solution and now I can ride again!

I thought this is exactly like the gospel. Sometimes, we want to make things really complicated and hard- perhaps it feels more comfortable when we make it complicated? I don't know. But what I do know is that it's always the simple things that make a difference. Like when Nephi's bow was broken, his family "did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness" (1 Nephi 16:20).  They blamed Nephi and complained and did nothing. Unfortunately, there are times in my life that I do the exact same thing. I "hold the gear in place" rather than find the simple solution of tightening a screw...it seems "easier" to just go forward with things awry and not take the time to fix a small problem.

Nephi wasn't sucked in by the negativity, instead, Nephi went about doing the simple task of making another bow and then arming himself with these simple tools to obtain food (see 1 Nephi 16:23). As I thought about how Nephi armed himself, I realized that there are things we can do to arm ourselves as well, and keep the "screw" tight. These simple things are reading our scriptures, saying our prayers, attending church so that we can partake of the sacrament and renew our covenants with God and be filled. I know that all too often we want something "more"- more than the simple answers of "say your prayers, attend church, read your scriptures". Well, I'm here to say that those are the "small and simple things" that will actually bring about "great things" and "confound the wise" (Alma 37:6-7). It is the simple solution that has changed my life and opens me up to receive more. 

After obtaining direction from the Lord through the Liahona on where to obtain food, Nephi makes this statement: "And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things" (1 Nephi 16:29). I like the words, "And thus we see". When I take off the "natural" (see Mosiah 3:19) or "carnal" (see Alma 36:4; Romans 7:14) spectacles that I so frequently wear, I do "see" that God works "by small means [and] can bring about great things" (1 Nephi 16:29). Just like with the small screw that needed to be tightened and made a big difference in my gears and ability to ride my trike safely again. I have found the small things of reading the words of God, praying, and attending church opens our hearts and minds to the things of God. And we can also say, "And thus we see" as we make these small changes, or simply said, tighten a  screw so that we can keep moving forward.

The little screw that needed tightening and made all the difference

No comments: