Saturday, March 07, 2015

"Let us be strong like unto Moses" (1 Nephi 4:2)

As I have recovered from these past two shoulder surgeries I realize my muscles have gotten terribly weak. I can barely lift a gallon of milk with the support of my left hand from the fridge door! My right arm is a lot weaker than my left arm. For the longest time I have been wanting to add weight, but my supporting muscles haven't been strong enough to allow me to use weight. It has been difficult seeing this loss of strength. But I read something that made me realise that I may not be physically strong today, but I can keep working at it and my strength will improve. I read: "Let us be strong like unto Moses" (1 Nephi 4:2). Moses spiritual strength did not happen overnight. I get to work on improving my strength by doing all the small things my physical therapist advises me to do. Being patient helps this strengthening process.

This is the same with us spiritually. We must keep working on our own spiritual awareness and strength. The supporting muscles of attending church, keeping covenants, obedience, and enduring all things through faith in Christ (see D&C 20:29) are what we can do to begin that spiritual strengthening. Personal scripture study feeds and nourishes our souls- just as eating a healthy diet nourishes our bodies and helps build strong muscles. I love this verse in Deuteronomy, it reads: "Therefore shall ye keep all the commandments which I command you this day, that ye may be strong" (Deut 11:8). Obedience to the laws of God are key to having strong spiritual muscles just as being obedient to the laws of health help us be strong and healthy.

Sometimes I make the mistake of going too fast or even comparing myself to other people who haven't had shoulder surgery. I want to be strong now. But even the prophet Moses took time to get stronger. His strength didn't come overnight. But eventually, as he developed his spiritual muscles he led the people of Israel out of Egypt because of his spiritual strength. We can be like Moses...or better said, "let us be strong like unto Moses" ((1 Nephi 4:2) by doing all the little things that help build strong muscles.

 

No comments: