Wednesday, February 01, 2012

"...Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Philippians 4:8)

I go to the grocery store and buy way too much stuff only because I forgot to bring the list of groceries I wrote down which I left at home hanging on my refrigerator. I usually come home with too much stuff when I forget my list, and many items that I probably don't need, and some items that I didn't remember to write down, but now I have doubles. But when I remember my list, I love coming home and cooking and then eating. Remembering is the greatest thing to do when grocery shopping. Remembering is wonderful! I think that is why is it put in the scriptures so many times.

Remember. I love remembering. I love remembering birthdays, especially if I am able to pull of some sort of surprise and it lifts someones spirit. One birthday to remember all year long is the birth of Jesus Christ. We can remember this birth every time we partake of the sacrament. Some may think I should be thinking of His death, yes, that is included, but His birth, or resurrection is the greatest hope for all of us. It is a new birth, each week for each of us as we renew our covenants that we "are willing to take upon [us] the name of [Jesus Christ] , and always remember Him and keep His commandments which He has given [us]" (D&C 20:77, 79). We are promised in return that we "may always have His Spirit to be with us" ( D&C 20:77, 79). These are powerful promises for remembering.

Remembering a grocery list is one thing, but remembering Christ is another. How does one remember Christ daily? Hourly? Minute to minute? He has asked us to "always remember Him" (see D&C 20:77, 79, Moroni 4:3, 3 Nephi 18:7) not just sometimes. This is a powerful thought, to always think of Christ. There is power in thinking of Him. We can't always be thinking of Him, can we? I believe there is a way, to help us, to direct our thoughts towards Him, and help us remember Him. Paul taught it very simply and beautifully. He said, "Finally, brethren [and sisters], whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Philippians 4:8 bold added). When we are focused on these things that are good, we are focusing our thoughts on Christ.

One of the greatest places to receive these pure, lovely, good, things of virtue and praise is in the scriptures. O how I love the scriptures. They are "the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). When we "hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, [we will] never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower [us] unto blindness, to lead [us] away to destruction" (1 Nephi 15:24). We are given power and strength beyond our own when we remember to "feast upon the words of Christ" (2 Nephi 32:3).

Even though we may forget the grocery list, we do remember to eat every day. We may forget from time to time somethings, but we can remember Christ as we eat from the scriptures daily, even just a bit, and He will feed us, and protect us, lift us and strengthen us. This I testify.

No comments: